Home » Solid Waste and Recycling Committee » What do I do with » Other Household Items

Household Items

Accepted for curbside recycling. Should be flattened to 2' x 2' or smaller.

If you are disposing of carpeting or padding, please cut it into 4' x 4' sections, roll and tie or tape the rolls. You may dispose of approximately 12 of these rolls at one time.

Your unwanted eyeglasses can still help other people. Take your unwanted eyeglasses to the Shelby Township Police Department located at 52530 Van Dyke Ave. Ask a desk officer to deposit eyeglasses into the collection container. The eyeglasses are collected by the Shelby Lions Club.


When purchasing fire extinguishers, buy the best quality extinguisher you can find. Extinguishers with metal tops can be recharged, last forever & are cheaper in the long run than disposable, plastic varieties.

Fire extinguishers with metal tops can be recharged & should be tested every 5 or 6 years. Check the Yellow Pages under Fire Protection Equipment for service providers. Most service providers will accept old metal-topped extinguishers for recycling. Very old (glass) fire extinguishers must be disposed of as a hazardous waste. Do NOT throw in the trash or touch their contents.

Disposable, plastic fire extinguishers should be discharged into a trash can to depressurize & then disposed of with regular trash.

The collection of large bulky waste, such as appliances and furniture, will continue to be part of your solid waste program. You may set out large bulky items on your regular scheduled service day for collection. You may also call the GFL Customer Care Center at 866-772-8900 if you wish to schedule a pickup.

Please place large bulky items out separate from other products for collection and have out by 7 a.m. Large items may include: washers, dryers, freezers, refrigerators, air conditioners, hot water tanks, stoves, microwaves, couches, chairs, tables, dressers and other large items.

FYI: Please remove the doors and racks from refrigerators and freezers prior to setting out for collection. Also, it is the contractor's responsibility to make sure Freon is extracted according to current environmental standards. 


Please be advised that the Shelby Township Library is no longer accepting inkjet cartridges.


However, the following companies do accept inkjet cartridges:

Best Buy
45520 Utica Park Blvd, Utica

Office Depot
44835 Schoenherr Rd, Sterling Heights

45320 Utica Park Blvd, Utica

1950 South Rochester Rd, Rochester Hills