Parks, Recreation and Maintenance
In an effort to better serve our customers, effective Feb. 1, 2018, we will be changing our facility reservation policy as follows:
- Individuals may reserve a park pavilion, Hope Chapel, or Heritage Garden on a first-come, first-served basis with no restrictions on date. Therefore, based on availability, any date may be reserved for any month and/or year that you wish. Full payment is due at the time of the reservation.
- Contractors may be subject to any price increases that may go into effect between the date the reservation is made and the actual date of the event.
- Hope Chapel and Heritage Garden will continue to have a NO REFUND policy.
- Refunds are only available on pavilion rentals when cancellations are made 30 days prior to the reservation. A 10 percent cancellation fee will be assessed to all refunds regardless of notice. Requests for refunds must be submitted in writing.
- Inquiries and reservations may be made at the Parks and Recreation Office in person or by phone at 586-731-0300.
- Reservation fees may be made by cash, check, Visa, Mastercard. If contract/receipt cannot be emailed, a $5 mailing fee will be assessed.
In accordance with the Shelby Township Ordinance Article II: Public Parks, Section 50-33 Permits, "a permit is required for picnics, outings, or gatherings of 20 or more persons.” All reservations provide for use from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. or dusk, whichever comes first. A fee is assessed to reserve the use of a shelter at all parks. Please see individual park information for rental fees and amenities.
Any group wishing to host a 5K event must reserve the Hickory Grove Shelter. Only one 5K event will be permitted in River Bends Park in any given day. Various athletic fields are available to rent on a limited basis. Please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 586-731-0300 for availability information and pricing.
The person that signs the Shelter Use Contract shall be responsible for all damages caused during the use of the shelter. Further, the renter shall not cause, allow any destruction of, or injury to said shelter, the park, or any park thereof, nor use the same except for the specific purpose indicated on the permit. All general park rules apply to those renting any picnic shelter. Please review the rules and guidelines prior to your event.
Requests for the use of tents (20’ x 40’ maximum), bounce houses, dunk tanks, caterers, any other rented items, live music, or any special
request not listed herein are subject to approval by the director. Any business supplying equipment is required to submit a certificate of liability insurance listing Shelby Township as an additional insured at least 30 working days prior to the reserved date. All rented equipment must be brought into the park on the reserved date and removed at the end of the same day.
The following are available without a reservation to park visitors:
- A number of picnic tables (6’ each) and grills scattered throughout the parks
- Playscapes and disc golf located within River Bends Park
- Horseshoe pits and volleyball nets are available at each pavilion at no charge. Parties that rent the shelters are given priority for use. You must provide your own horseshoes and volleyball.
For more information on what venues are available to rent, check out our Parks and Facilities guide.
Director Joe Youngblood
Parks, Recreation and Maintenance
Parks, Recreation and Maintenance Department Building
Shelby Township Municipal Campus
52700 Van Dyke Ave.
Shelby Township, MI 48316-3572
Phone: (586) 731-0300
Fax: (586) 726-7228