Parks, Recreation and Maintenance
Rentals at the Shelby Township Activities Center
Do you need a room for a meeting, birthday party or shower? The Shelby Township Activities Center can provide rooms with tables and chairs 5-9 p.m., weekdays, and during daytime hours on Saturday and Sunday. The activities center kitchen is not available, and no alcohol is permitted on the premises. Call 586-731-0300 for more information. Prices are subject to change.
|Gymnasium (Full)||$75 resident||$100 nonresident|
|North/South Court||$50 resident||$75 nonresident|
|Cafeteria (up to 125 occupants)|| $60/hour
|Wertz Room (up to 40 occupants)|| $40/hour
|Rooms 2 & 3 (up to 25 occupants)||$30/hour resident||$40/hour nonresident|
|Rooms 4 & 5 (up to 25 occupants)||$60/hour resident||$40/hour nonresident|
|Room 7 (craft room) (up to 25 occupants)||$30/hour resident||$40/hour nonresident|
|Nonprofit Organizations (Rooms 2-5)||$15 flat fee for any meeting 3 hours and under||$25 flat fee for any meeting over 3 hours|
Park Pavilion Rentals
Reservations for all pavilions are accepted in person at the Shelby Township Activities Center or by phone at 586-731-0300.
River Bends Park - You can reserve one of three pavilions with seating for up to 100 guests in our popular park at 5700 22 Mile Road. Shelters come with picnic tables, electrical outlets and barbeque grills. You’ll have access to water, restrooms, playground areas, sand volleyball courts and horseshoe pits. Vehicles enter and park for free.
• Mapleview Shelter rents for $110 for residents, $140 for nonresidents.
• Bittersweet and Hickory Grove Shelters each rent for $170 for residents, $200 for nonresidents.
Woodall Neighborhood Park - This shelter at 4550 River Bends Drive off of Ryan Road accommodates up to 50 people with included picnic tables, barbeque grill and electric outlets. Water is available in restrooms only.
Fee: $100 for residents, $130 for nonresidents
Mae Stecker Park - Reserve a piece of the action at the pavilion in Mae Stecker Park with access to baseball diamonds, sand volleyball, basketball courts and tennis courts. The pavilion can accommodate up to 24 guests and has nearby restrooms. Mae Stecker Park is at 8600 24 Mile Road. Limited dates available.
Fee: $50 for residents, $80 for nonresidents.
Chief Gene Shepherd Park - Within view of the popular splash pad, this pavilion is an excellent spot for a party, reunion or any gathering. The 40-by-60 structure can accommodate up to 80 people. Renters have access to picnic tables, electric outlets, water, indoor restrooms, playground, sand volleyball, horseshoe pit and bocce ball. The fee does not include the use of the splash pad. Chief Gene Shepherd Park is at 2452 23 Mile Road.
Fee: $170 for residents, $200 for nonresidents.
Heritage Gard Reservations
Beautiful Heritage Garden is the perfect spot to exchange wedding vows or capture a moment for years to come with professional photos. The garden
is surrounded by ornate wrought-iron fencing next to a 2.5-acre spring-fed lake for a fairytale feeling. A 10-foot gazebo is tucked among beautiful
trees, flowers and walkways maintained by the Shelby Gardeners Club and the PRM Department. Reservations include an attendant to assure exclusive use. Photographers and paid professionals are encouraged to make a reservation to ensure private use of the garden area. Reservations will be accepted in person or by phone at 586-731-0300.
Fee: $35/hour for residents, $110/hour for nonresidents.
Wedding Reservations: There is a 2-hour minimum for a standing ceremony. There is a maximum of 10 chairs allowed in the garden for those who may not be able to stand throughout a service. Wedding parties may bring their chairs or choose to rent our white stacking chairs for $5 each. A garden attendant will set up and remove our rented chairs.
Weddings at Hope Chapel
Celebrate your wedding at Shelby Township’s Hope Chapel. Built in 1890 and relocated to the Shelby Township Municipal Campus in 2001, this quaint venue has all the charm of a small-town fairytale near beautiful Heritage Garden. Fee: $335 for residents, $435 for nonresidents for a 2.5-hour time block and a one-hour rehearsal.
• Seats up to 80 guests.
• Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are available for weddings with Thursdays reserved for rehearsals.
• The wedding party is responsible for contracting its own clergy or officiant to perform their ceremony.
• Please call 586-731-0300, or email email@example.com for details or to check availability.
Our facility reservation policy is as follows:
- Individuals may reserve a park pavilion, Hope Chapel, or Heritage Garden on a first-come, first-served basis with no restrictions on date. Therefore, based on availability, any date may be reserved for any month and/or year that you wish. Full payment is due at the time of the reservation.
- Contractors may be subject to any price increases that may go into effect between the date the reservation is made and the actual date of the event.
- Hope Chapel and Heritage Garden will continue to have a NO REFUND policy.
- Refunds are only available on pavilion rentals when cancellations are made 30 days prior to the reservation. A 10 percent cancellation fee will be assessed to all refunds regardless of notice. Requests for refunds must be submitted in writing.
- Inquiries and reservations may be made at the Parks and Recreation Office in person or by phone at 586-731-0300.
- Reservation fees may be made by cash, check, Visa, Mastercard. If contract/receipt cannot be emailed, a $5 mailing fee will be assessed.
In accordance with the Shelby Township Ordinance Article II: Public Parks, Section 50-33 Permits, "a permit is required for picnics, outings, or gatherings of 20 or more persons.” All reservations provide for use from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. or dusk, whichever comes first. A fee is assessed to reserve the use of a shelter at all parks. Please see individual park information for rental fees and amenities.
Any group wishing to host a 5K event must reserve the Hickory Grove Shelter. Only one 5K event will be permitted in River Bends Park in any given day. Various athletic fields are available to rent on a limited basis. Please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 586-731-0300 for availability information and pricing.
The person that signs the Shelter Use Contract shall be responsible for all damages caused during the use of the shelter. Further, the renter shall not cause, allow any destruction of, or injury to said shelter, the park, or any park thereof, nor use the same except for the specific purpose indicated on the permit. All general park rules apply to those renting any picnic shelter. Please review the rules and guidelines prior to your event.
Requests for the use of tents (20’ x 40’ maximum), bounce houses, dunk tanks, caterers, any other rented items, live music, or any special
request not listed herein are subject to approval by the director. Any business supplying equipment is required to submit a certificate of liability insurance listing Shelby Township as an additional insured at least 30 working days prior to the reserved date. All rented equipment must be brought into the park on the reserved date and removed at the end of the same day.
The following are available without a reservation to park visitors:
- A number of picnic tables (6’ each) and grills scattered throughout the parks
- Playscapes and disc golf located within River Bends Park
- Horseshoe pits and volleyball nets are available at each pavilion at no charge. Parties that rent the shelters are given priority for use. You must provide your own horseshoes and volleyball.
For more information on what venues are available to rent, check out our Parks and Facilities guide.
Director Joe Youngblood
Parks, Recreation and Maintenance
Shelby Township Parks and Recreation
14975 21 Mile Road
Shelby Township, MI 48316-3572